Thursday, March 26, 2009

Import to LibraryThing from Amazon

Adding books to LibraryThing one at a time is not hard but, if you have very many books to add, it can get kind of tedious.

The solution is to use LibraryThing's Import page. Use it to import books en masse from a web page or from a file. It can handle web pages from a variety of sources and files in a variety of formats.

I decided to import from an Amazon Listmania! list of Terry Pratchett Discworld novels. I copied and pasted the Listmania! page's URL into the Grab from a webpage field on the Import page, then clicked the Grab button.

The Import options page came up. Ignoring the other options, I entered the following tags into the Mass tagging field to apply to all the books in the list: fantasy, British, humor, Discworld.

The Import results page came up telling me that my list had been entered into a queue to be added to my library later. I followed a link from there back to the Import page, where I learned that the importation should be completed in less than an hour.

A few minutes later, the books had been added to my library, expanding it fourfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment